About Cagli

Getting to Cagli

 

Lo Stemma di Cagli, Cagli's coat-of-arms

A VERY BRIEF HISTORY OF CAGLI

Founded by the original Umbrians two millennia ago, Cagli was a small village on the promontory of the Banderuola, on the slopes of Mount Petrano.  From its strategic position it overlooked Via Flaminia, the consular road that has connected Rome (230 kilometres to the south-west) and Rimini to the north for over 2,000 years. From the fall of the Roman Empire in AD 476, Cagli was ruled by the barbarians until AD 553, when it came under the dominion of the Byzantine emperors.  The reign of the Byzantine emperors lasted till 751 when the Lombards briefly took control, only to be superseded by the Franks in 755.  Without doubt, these were turbulent times. In 755, the Frankish king, Pipino, gifted Cagli to the Church, along with a territory that covered the modern-day Emilia Romagna, part of Le Marche and most of Umbria.

In 1287 the town was razed during the Guelph-Ghibelline wars, the long-lasting struggle between the Papal State and the Emperor.  In 1289 Cagli was refounded in its current position, with the name, Sant'Angelo Papale.  The new name, however, didn't stick as the locals just didn't like and continued calling it 'Cale' which had been the spelling of the town's name before it was razed.

From 1376 to 1631 Cagli was under the dominion of the Dukes of Urbino.  In 1631 the Papal States regained control until 1860, when Cagli became part of il Regno d'Italia,the Kingdom of Italy, now the modern-day Repubblica d'Italia.

 

Stephen Jones, Belle Vacanze: (02) 6687 1211 or Click here to send us an email