About Cagli

Getting to Cagli

 

TOWNS & VILLAGES NEAR CAGLI

One of the defining characteristics of Cagli and the surrounding towns and villages is their celebration of local food festivals.  Truffles, corn, and meats such as cinghiale (wild boar) all get their chance, along with many other foods, all of them typical of the area in which they are produced.

We list a few of the nearby towns and villages and some of the food festivals but there are many more.

Acqualagna
Acqualagna, 10 kilometres from Cagli, is Italy's truffle (tartufo) Capital. Acqualagna hosts a major truffle fair every year from the end of October to the middle of November and a minor fair in mid-August.

Cantiano
Cantiano, also 10 kilometres from Cagli, is famous for its medieval historic centre, its Roman bridges along the Via Flaminia and its various local food festivals from mid August to early October.  At Easter the crowd joins in during a reenactment of the Passion of Christ.

Frontone
A little more than 10 kilometres from Cagli, Frontone is celebrated for its towering castle which dominates the mountain on which it rests and the surrounding countryside.  The view is spectacular.  Within the walls of the castle is a moderately-priced but very good restaurant, ideal for lunch or dinner, with typical local food.
Pergola
Just 19 kilometres from Cagli, in a valley and surrounded by vineyards, Pergola is a lovely little town, with a truckload of palaces and churches (especially la Chiesa di San Francesco founded by the saint's contemporaries in 1255) dating back to the the time when the town was founded, in 1234 as well as unusual tower-houses, brick buildings, gothic arches and bas-relief. Pergola is most famous for the Bronzi Dorati, extraordinary 2,000-year-old gilded bronze statues of two equestrian figures and two women.  Discovered in 1946 in pieces, buried in a field, they are the subject of many theories but no hard evidence as to who they depict and where they were cast (Rome or at a nearby forge at Sentinum).
Pergola's local quaff is a heavily perfumed purple wine made with red vernaccia grapes and sold either as Vernaculum or Vernacolo.

Urbania
Approximately 27 kilometres from Cagli
and originally called Castel Durante until the egotistical Pope Urban VIII changed its name in 1636, Urbania is rich in impressive buildings and works of art.  There are many buildings of significant interest including the 13th-century Palazzo Ducale, il Teatro Bramante, la Chiesa di Santa Chiara and la Chiesa del Crocifisso in which is buried the last Duke of Urbino.
Behind the altar of the Chiesetta dei Morti in Via Ugolini, the Cimitero delle Mummie, are a dozen mummified corpses in a row of glass-fronted cabinets. 

They have been on display since their discovery in 1813, preserved below the church by a rare type of mould.  One of the bodies is that of a pregnant woman.

Urbino
Approximately 32 kilometres from Cagli, Urbino is one of the most important towns in Italy with a centro storico included in the UNESCO list of World Heritage Sites.  Home of Duke Federico da Montefeltro, the city gathered the greatest painters, poets and scholars of the 15th century, housing them in one of Italy's most beautiful (extant) Renaissance palaces. 
Although da Montefeltro's palace is plain externally, the interior is of an altogether different, elegant, character. The palace now houses the Galleria Nazionale delle Marche - a remarkable collection of paintings including several by Piero della Francesca.
The Duke's study is the palace's most unusual room - entirely decorated in exquisite trompe l'oeil inlaid woodwork panels.
Other buildings of great interest are the Oratorio di S. Giovanni Battista, a small church decorated in 1416 with wall-to-ceiling frescoes by the painters Jacopo

and Lorenzo Salimbeni little-known outside Le Marche but artistic masters, nevertheless, the Orto Botanico, a small, walled botanic garden full of rare plants and entered via Bramante; and the Chiese di San Bernardino, built in 1491 by the military architect Francesco di Giorgio Martini and which contains the tombs of Duke Federico and his son, Guidobaldo.

Sant'Angelo in Vado
Originally built on the site of the ancient Tifernum Metaurense, a town of an Umbrian tribe known as the Senones, near the River Metaurus, Sant'Angelo in Vado is believed to have been destroyed by the Goths during the 5th century.
Approx. 36 kilometres from Cagli, Sant'Angelo in Vado was an important centre of business from the 16th to 18th centuries. Nowadays, with its large number of palaces, churches, public buildings and old merchant houses, it is a very attractive town to visit, with a market all day every Monday.

Gubbio (Umbria)
Situated on the side of Monte Ingino and just 28 kilometres from Cagli, Gubbio boasts a beautiful centro storico. Attractions include the Palzzo della Signoria, which houses the famous Eugubine Tablets, the climb up Monte Ingino, the view over the Valtiberina and the 1st-century Teatro romano, conveniently located behind the free open-air car-park below the town.  From the tourist's point of view, Gubbio's main commercial attraction is the ceramics shops in the centro storico.
Gubbio's major annual event is the Festa dei Ceri, Feast of the Candles, held on 15th May every year.

 

Stephen Jones, Belle Vacanze: (02) 6687 1211 or Click here to send us an email